Campus Advisory Classes are in session remotely through the end of spring semester. Our satellite centers in Manhattan, Hudson Valley and Suffolk County are closed; however, all staff and units are accessible remotely. Adelphi's Garden City campus is operational with only essential personnel on-site. » COVID-19 Response

Coronavirus Updates on Operations: Department or campus operations may be modified during this time. Please call or email the department for more information or visit

Human Resources

During this time of remote operations, we will continue to review questions and complaints of possible discrimination. Individuals may email Renaire Frierson or Natalie Johnson as well as  Individuals may also call the numbers noted on the Title IX page—voicemail will be reviewed.  

Frequently Asked Questions About Title IX

The most commonly asked questions about Title IX

What is Title IX ?

Title IX is a federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in all educational institutions receiving federal funding. Sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct and gender based relationship violence and stalking are considered forms of sex discrimination prohibited under Title IX.

What should I do if I have been the victim of a sexual assault ?

Your safety and well-being are of paramount importance. Although it is your choice, victims are encouraged to call Public Safety by dialing 5 on the phones located inside and outside of campus buildings, or dial 516.877.3507 or 3511. If you are off-campus call 911.

Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Public Safety or Student Health Services will help you get the care you need. Be mindful of preserving all possible evidence. Do not change your clothes, shower, douche, comb your hair, brush your teeth, eat or drink. Collect all relevant sheets and towels. The hospital will administer a rape kit if the incident happened within 96 hours of the examination. Samples from all areas of penetration will be collected for analysis.

If I go to the hospital do I have to report the incident to the local police?

Going to the hospital and having a rape kit done does not require you to make a report to the police. A rape kit is a means of preserving evidence. It remains your choice to report the case to local law enforcement.

What happens when you make a report to the police?

Reporting a case to the police will trigger a criminal investigation that could lead to an arrest and subsequent prosecution. If you chose to report your case to the police University personnel can assist you in making this report.

Does the University have to investigate the case if a report is made to the police?

The University’s investigation is independent of the criminal investigation. While the police investigation is concerned with criminality, our investigation is focused on determining whether a Title IX violation has occurred and taking steps to eliminate the harassing conduct, prevent recurrence and address the effects of the conduct. Every member of the Adelphi community is entitled to an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment. Adelphi University is committed to this goal. All victims will be treated with dignity and respect.

How do I make a Title IX report to the University?

Title IX violations can be reported directly to the Title IX Coordinator in person, by phone or by email. You can also utilize the University’s online reporting system.

If you are a student you can also make a report to an RA, RHD, Public Safety Officer, Coach, Dean, Supervisor, Professor or certain Administrators, who are all mandated to report these allegations to the Title IX Coordinator. Faculty members and employees who wish to make a report about their own victimization can speak with their Dean, Chair, Supervisor or the Title IX Coordinator, as indicated above.

Who is Adelphi University’s Title IX Coordinator?

Renaire Frierson
Title IX Coordinator & Director Equity & Compliance
Human Resources
Levermore Hall, Room 203
One South Avenue, Garden City, NY 11530
p – 516.877.4819
e –

What are the responsibilities of the Title IX Coordinator ?

The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for:

  • Coordinating University compliance with Title IX obligations
  • Investigating and overseeing all Title IX allegations
  • Ensuring the Title IX prohibited conduct ends
  • Preventing the Title IX prohibited conduct from reoccurring
  • Identifying and addressing patterns and problems
  • Ensuring training and education of Title IX obligations, policies and resources

What if I am not ready to make a report ? Can I speak to someone confidentially?

You can speak with confidentiality to certain persons on campus who, by law, have special professional status and can maintain confidentiality. At Adelphi University, you may contact the following offices for confidential resources:

Student Counseling Center
Counseling services are available on-site at the Garden City campus and Manhattan Center. Day and evening hours are available by calling 516-877-3646.

Counseling services are also available for Hudson Valley Center students through the Workplace EAP by calling 845-431-8740.

Crisis intervention and counseling services are also provided at the Garden City campus through the Safe Center. The Safe Center offers services free of charge for victims of sexual assault and relationship violence. The Safe Center 24 hour hotline can be accessed at 516-542-0404

Health Services Center
Health Services operates 24/7 during the regular school semester. The Center is located in Waldo Hall for in-person visits, or contact them at 516.877.6000.

Interfaith Center
The Interfaith Center provides spiritual counseling, programs and services for multiple faiths. The Center is located in the Ruth S. Harley University Center for in-person visits, or contact them at 516.877.3113

Are there any safety measures available to me as a victim of a Title IX offense?

If you are a victim of a Title IX offense, the University will assist you in providing reasonable accommodations and measures to help ensure your safety and emotional well-being. These accommodations and safety measures may include:

    • Residential housing reassignments
    • Academic adjustments
  • No Contact Letters
  • Work schedule adjustments
  • Transportation assistance
  • Interim suspension
  • Other appropriate actions deemed necessary

How can I access these safety measures/accommodations?

An Adelphi student may contact their RA, RHD, Dean of Student Affairs, Associate Provost or the Title IX Coordinator to request reasonable safety measures/ accommodations, whether a formal complaint is filed or not. Faculty and employees may speak to their Chair, Dean, Supervisor or the Title IX Coordinator.

I am afraid to make a report because I was drinking and/or using drugs at the time of the incident.

Adelphi University recognizes that an individual who has been drinking or using drugs at the time of the incident may be hesitant to report for fear of disciplinary action. In an effort to encourage reporting, an individual who reports sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence or stalking , either as a complainant or a witness, will not be subject to disciplinary actions by the University for his/her own personal consumption of alcohol or drugs at or near the time of the incident. This amnesty policy applies to the University’s student conduct process.

Does Title IX apply to same-sex incidents?

Yes. The protections of Title IX are gender neutral in all respects.

What if the misconduct involves a staff or faculty member?

The protections of Title IX apply to students, faculty and staff. Individuals reporting violations by staff or faculty can utilize the same procedures described above.

Can I file a complaint anonymously?

Yes. You may file an online complaint using our anonymous form. Although a victim/complainant can file a report anonymously it may hamper our ability to conduct an investigation into the allegations and take action. Although complete confidentiality cannot always be achieved, all allegations will be treated privately and with great sensitivity and respect.

Where can I obtain additional information ?


For further information, please contact:

Office of Human Resources
p – 516.877.3220
e –

Apply Now
Request Information